Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sick baby X 2

My poor little babies, you are so sick! Let me start with you Sophie. I thought we made it through Tripp's croup and ear infection without you catching anything from him, and maybe we did, but boy did you get sick last week, terribly sick.

I had to pick you up from school early on Tuesday. Mindy and Brandy asked Roxanna to take your temperature because you were warm and you weren't yourself. They said you were acting very tired and "out of it", not your usual playful self. Roxanna told me that the first time she took your temperature it was only 99 degrees, but when they brought you back for a recheck it was already up to 102. They called me and I was at school in about 30 minutes. I picked you up and you were on fire. I asked Roxanna to take your temp again and this time it was 104. I couldn't believe it got so high so quickly. Your fever hung around from Tuesday to Sunday. It go so high on Thursday that we had to take you to the urgent care. Of course, it reached 105.1 after the drs. closed. 105.1 just seems scary. We gave you some tylenol, took you to the urgent care, and by the time we arrived your fever had broken. Dr. said you just had a bad cold. Ears looked great, no strep, just an extremely bad viral type infection. You just had to let it run its course. And it did, you were finally better this past Monday - nearly a full week of sickness.

During the week you were sick, you were so clingy, so lovey, so sweet. You are so active these days that there really isn't much cuddle time with you. Of course I would never wish you to be sick and I felt terrible that you were feeling so poorly, but I cherished the moments that you laid on me, hugged me, and just loved on me. It's sweet when a baby needs her mommy. Truth be told, you loved on daddy more, as I would expect you to, but I enjoyed the time I got as well. And you even laid on the couch and watched t.v. That's a first! You are finally feeling better and I am so glad!

Now on to Tripp ... poor sweet baby, you are sick again. I'm going to take you to the drs. tomorrow to make sure you don't have a lingering ear infection. I suspect you might. You may just have what Sophie had, but I'd like to rule out an ongoing ear infection. Your fever has been 104 for the past 2 days. Seems to get that high at night. You have a hard time staying asleep once I put you down, but once I give you Tylenol, whether you have a fever or not, you sleep very peacefully. I just feel like you must be in pain for that to happen. I hate to give you medicine if you don't need it, so I'm trying not to, but it seems you do need it. Hopefully you do not have an ear infection, or anything else serious for that matter. You are just such a little baby and so sweet and fun and playful, you just shouldn't get sick! I'm getting mad about it, too. You are still nursing and that is supposed to be the best medicine for you ... your not supposed to get ear infections and colds when you are nursing. I'm trying to do my best to keep you healthy, little dude. You stayed home with me today. You were very fiesty when it was time for a nap. You needed it, but you fought it. Other than that, you were really tired and also out of it for the most part.

I love you kiddies both and I just want you to be happy and healthy. Hopefully the sickies will be gone before Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it suck when they are sick and you can't do anything about it. You feel so mad and helpless that you can't make them better. Moms are supposed to be able to do something to make them better (at least, that's how I always feel) Welcome to my world, sweetie ... this has been my life (x5) since about mid-September. I hope your little ones are better for Christmas (AND MINE, TOO!!!).