Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Tripp at 9 months

This post is a little late, but I wrote the majority of it just after his 9 month WBV so it's pretty accurate in terms of his development at 9 months.

- Personality: observant, athletic (already, I promise!), smart, sweet, rough, cuddler, dominant.
- Weight: 21.5 lbs (50% - 75%)
- Height: 29.25 lbs (75% - 90%)
- Head circumference: 44 cm (10% - 25%)
- Wears 12 - 18 month clothing and some 18 month clothing, size 3 shoes, and size 4 diapers.
- Crawls, pulls up, stands up using things and has started to stand for a few second at a time without holding on to anything.
- Tripp still really loves his mommy! :-) He’s a momma’s boy and I absolutely love it! Just today when we were out to dinner he was fussy so I went to the car to get his paci and he started crying immediately when I left the table. When I came back he was fine. Oh the joy of being loved!
- Eats breastmilk (3 bottles and a sippy or 3 to 4 nursing sessions per day). I am extremely proud of this accomplishment! Tripp is such a good nurser and I love our silent moments together! I know we’ll make it 3 more months and I’m sure I’ll be terribly sad when it’s time to wean him.
- With that said, he is learning how to drink from a sippy. We should have started giving him a sippy earlier, but to be honest we just started about a week ago. Today was the first day he really drank from a sippy while holding the cup. He has caught on really quickly!
- Eats solids - breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack. The only baby food (jarred food) he gets is prunes and oatmeal every few days to help keep him regular.
- Tripp absolutely LOVES solid foods. He eats everything. Just today he ate grilled cheese, pickles, tomatoes, and pears. Sounds weird, I know, but that was a sampling from mine, John, and Sophie’s dinner. Seems he may not like mashed potatoes. Who doesn’t like mashed potatoes?
- Still uses pincer grasp. It has become somewhat of a weapon. He likes to use it to pinch, pull, and scrape anything and everything.
- Seems to favor using his right hand.
- Sleeping well, but less well than last month. He was sleeping 12 hours but that has decreased to 10 – 12 hours. I think it has a lot to do with teething.
- Has 6 teeth. 4 on top, 2 on bottom. There is one bottom left tooth that is going to poke through any day.
- Napping is pretty hit and miss. At home he always takes a morning nap, anywhere from 1 hour to 1.5 hours. Sometimes he takes an afternoon nap around 2. At school, however, he’s been fighting naps. He naps later there and usually only once. Maybe he’s consolidating naps already!
- Takes all of his baths with Sophie. Still sitting in his bath seat, still crazy when he’s not in it. Loves showers with daddy! Daddy says he likes to try and grab the razors that are hanging on the wall. Sounds really safe.
- Loves to scream. Well, I’m not sure scream is the correct word. Screech maybe? It’s an ear piercing scream and it makes us crazy when he does it!!
- Although he yells and makes noises, he talks a little less than he was originally talking. Hasn’t officially said a word yet. Syllables include “d”, "a", "g.”
- Hates to get dressed or get a diaper change. It’s pretty much a nightmare trying to do either. I just can’t believe he has such an opinion about either thing at such a young age. He is so strong that it’s actually difficult trying to put his arms in his shirt. He fights tooth and nail to avoid getting dressed. I actually had to start putting him back on his changing table to change him and dress him. It sort of contains him – sort of!
- Tripp has actually started to play peek-a-boo on his own. He pulls the napkin up, puts it down, pulls it back up again. Pretty cool! Laughs hysterically when you play with him.
- Still doesn’t like books at bedtime, although he’s starting to show a little interest in them by grabbing them and turning the pages. We’ll get there!
- Likes to be chased around the kitchen island. He, of course, crawls, we crawl, too, and Sophie runs.
- Like to hang upside down. He throws himself backwards when you are holding him. Also likes to do the downward dog yoga pose. He’s silly!
- Finally likes the pacifier. Oh great. I knew if it was given to him enough times he’d start to like it – just like his sister did. I’m not sure if he just likes it now because he’s teething and when he chews on it it feels good on his gums or if he just likes it. I don’t give it to him except at night and in the car if he’s crying. Daddy, on the other hand, always gives it to him.

No comments: