Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Yellow River Game Ranch

Gabby and Jason and their 3 beautiful kiddos (Haylee, Mya, & baby Jace) were here visiting from North Carolina over the weekend. Gabby and Tara have been best friends since junior high school back in their Florida days. I love Gabby and her family and I always look forward to their visits.

We needed to get the kids out of the house and take them somewhere fun. It literally had been raining for like a week. As you can imagine, a house with 6 kids (8 if you include Anthony and Summer) is just crazy. Tara suggested that we go to Yellow River Game Ranch. It's a bit of a hike to get there since it's all the way down by Stone Mountain, but it was a fun trip. All types of different animals just roam around and eat out of your hands. Except for Tripp's hand - he didn't share much. He wanted to eat the food himself instead of sharing with the animals. No worries, it was carrots, graham crackers, and animal crackers. It looks like all the animals are behind fences, but they aren't.

The big animals - the puma, buffalo, pigs, bears, goats - they were caged, but the rest were not. So what was left to roam? Hmm .. deer, chickens, peacocks, squirrels, turtles, rabbits. I guess there were less free-roaming animals than I realized, but just the fact that deer were hanging out with us was cool. Especially the sweet baby bambis! The place was stinky, but pretty cool. For the most part, the kids were really good. Tripp kept trying to go under the rails and through fences, but what else was to be expected? I should also note that we were there right smack in the middle of nap time so towards the end the kids were antsy, but did much better than I expected. They all had a very good time and we made some nice memories. It was truly a nice family day!

Sweet little baby deer.

Sophie and Daddy feed a big deer.

Tripp is snacking ... shouldn't he be sharing? I love this picture so much! Notice the deer in the background licking his lips. Hmm ... what would taste better, the carrot or Tripp? lol

Notice that Tripp is eyeing the carrot. lol They had fun feeding the deer. The deer were so gentle and friendly. They followed us down the trail for a while. Pretty neat.

I didn't know you could actually feed a squirrel. Don't they carry rabies? Eek! Cute anyway.

These donkeys were begging for food. They weren't neglected, I promise!

Staring at the tall goat in amazement.

Tripp finally decided to share "his" food.

Interesting nursery lol

Well hello there Mr. sheep!

This is what you call a feast!

As Sophie was running away from the bear cage she said, "I'm not scared!" Yeah, ok. lol The bears were cool. We were throwing apples into their cages and they were catching the apples right in their mouths.

All the kids

1 comment:

The Mallory said...

I LOVE the one of Tripp with the deer licking his lips. That is priceless!