Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve

Tonight is Christmas Eve. I've been looking forward to this Christmas, because I think the kids will really enjoy unwrapping their gifts. I thought this was the year I'd be able to pull the old "Santa isn't coming if you are naughty, only if you are nice." But, nope! Nobody seems to care about that. Tripp, well he's too young, not even 2. Sophie, on the other hand, is nearly 3 1/2. Shouldn't she get it? That child. Phew. She is becoming such a handful lately. Sassy, talking back, telling me no. I have been telling her she should be nice and not naughty or else and she just says "no!" I'm tempted to tell Santa not to come tonight.

Of course that won't happen. I'm too nice of a mommy. But I think I need some tips in getting my kids to calm down a bit. Tripp has also started the "no!" bit while shaking his head somewhat violently. He has also started to throw food and hit drinks off the table when he's mad. Today we went to a restaurant with some friends. Sophie ran around like a wild woman asking for candy (there is an arcade with candy machines in the back of this restaurant) and Tripp screamed and cried when we put him in his highchair. Still hates being strapped into anything. While we were eating he just decided to smack his chocolate milk right off the table. So frustrating! We had to move tables because it made such a mess. It's embarrassing when the kids act like this. I've gotta think of something and something fast. They went from being sweet angels just a few months ago to holy terrors in restaurants. If anybody has suggestions I will totally welcome them!

Enough about the ranting, let me tell you about Christmas Eve! I'm taking Sophie to see Princess and the Frog when she wakes up from her nap. We tried to go earlier, but we were late (lunch took longer than expected) and Sophie was falling asleep. Have you ever tried to explain to a 3 year old why you aren't going to the movies but that you are going 2 hours later after nap time? Doesn't work so well!! Anyway, she was so tired she fell asleep in the car. She had a late night last night. She was out shopping with daddy for mommy's gift last night (yes, the night before Christmas Eve). Daddy is out with Tripp finishing that shopping now. Nothing like waiting until the last minute!! Anyhoo, Sophie and I are going to the movies. When we get home we'll eat a lowkey dinner, probably sandwiches and the rest of the hashbrown casserole we have and then we'll try to put the kiddos down a tad bit early.

I have a lot of wrapping to do tonight. I haven't wrapped one single gift. John and I have a tradition on Christmas Eve. We pop open a bottle of wine, light the fire, sit by the Christmas tree and wrap gifts, and watch "It's A Wonderful Life." I'm looking forward to that tradition tonight!

1 comment:

The Mallory's said...

Whatever. Your kids are always perfect when I see them...Marly has been asking for them like crazy lately. We put her dollhouse up in her room and the first thing she said was, "SophieTripp (like their one person) come over and play with me"? It was so cute.