Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Infant Swim Lessons

Sophie & Tripp have been taking infant swim lessons for 2 weeks. These aren't the typical lessons, these are the survival swim lessons. The class basically teaches the child what he or she should do if he or she falls in a pool. The classes are only 10 minutes each per kid and only one kid is in the pool with the instructor at a time. Kids learn the following in sequence:

- To hold their breath underwater
- Swim with their head down
- Roll onto their back to float, rest, and breathe
- Roll back over to resume swimming until they reach the side of the pool, crawl out or be rescued by an adult
- To perform these self-rescue skills first in a swim diaper, then while fully clothed

When the Sophie & Tripp started the classes they knew nothing, they couldn't swim or float. Wow, it's amazing what has happened in just 2 weeks, in just the first day even. In just day 1, both Sophie and Tripp could swim a few feet to their teacher. A few feet doesn't sound far, but in a 10 minute time frame, they learned to swim a short distance with their head down and eyes open. In 2 weeks they have both learned to hold their breath under water, open eyes under water, swim a short distance, float on their backs, and roll back over from a float to resume swimming.

The first day of class Sophie screamed, the panic kind of scream. I was warned by a few people that this might happen. Tripp, on the other hand, laughed. Laughed! He laughed at basically being dunked and let go of in a deep pool of water when he had no idea what to do. Michelle, the Instructor, actually said that Tripp is only the second child she has ever taught to laugh. Well that's my crazy ass kid for you. LOL The second day Sophie was really excited about "swimming" but when she got to class she cried again. So did Tripp. Again this is typical. This is also why the classes are only 10 minutes. A lot of water and air can get in the belly and cause gas among other things so that lessons are short. Kids also can't eat or drink in the 2 hours preceding class (this is an entirely separate ordeal for the kids). Anyway, on the 2nd day Sophie was crying but in the midst of it would say to Michelle, "I want to swim now." It was pretty funny!

I've learned not to underestimate my children. I think they can do so much more than they are giving credit for. A little patience and guidance certainly goes a long way. Sophie actually loves the swim part. She doesn't like floating at all and it's a bit of a struggle to get her to float, but she can do it. She also did an excellent swim - float - swim sequence today. She swam to the steps! Tripp is an amazing floater. That kid can float for at least 10 seconds. Michelle said he has a buoyant bottom so sometimes it's hard for him to roll all the way over or swim under the water but he does it and he does it well. I'm pretty amazed by him because he is so young and is doing everything perfectly. I'm feeling much safer about having the kids around a pool. I really am!

I took some pictures at the end of last week. I'll take some at the end of this week too. But you can see that they can swim and float. I'll post the pictures in a separate post. Pretty dang amazing!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Wow! That's amazing...look at them go!

Marsili's Baby News said...

just found your blog and saw this! bayleigh took classes last summer from michelle! That is so funny!!!!!