Thursday, January 15, 2009

First steps?

The fear of a working mom is that her babies will do all their "firsts" at school and away from her. People always try and reassure me that the "firsts" won't happen there, but with the way things go in my life they usually do. For instance, I remember clearly the first time Sophie waved "bye bye". It was at school when we were saying bye bye to her teacher. Sophie smiled and waved and me, being the spaz I am, jumped up and down like I had never seen anything so cool. Nicole, the teacher said, "oh, she's been doing that for like a week." Oh, well, ok. Burst my happy little bubble why don't you.

So yesterday when I picked Tripp up from school he was hanging around an empty high chair that was facing the door. As soon as he saw me, his face lit up and he started smiling as big as I think possible. Have I ever said how much I love picking the kids up from school? I think it's the best part of my day! I absolutely love it. Anyway, I looked at Tripp and told him it seemed like he was going to just let go of that high chair and run right over to me. It really did seem that way! Then, his teacher Autumn, dropped the bomb on me. She happily told me that he took a step. By step she really meant 2! She said he was holding on to the side of the changing station, saw a toy, let go of the wall, moved one foot forward then the other and then plopped down and hurriedly crawled to the toy. Ugh. He indeed took his first steps at school.

I wonder if it's better that way? Now I will be more prepared for him to walk, I'll be expecting it, right? Maybe I won't cry at the sight of it. A mixed cry, of course, because he's old enough to walk and because I'm afraid to have two walkers in this house (afraid in a good way - is there a good way? LOL). Or, maybe it's the reward for the teachers who love on him and watch him 8 hours a day while I'm working? Either way I look at, no matter why or when it happened, my baby took steps. Unbelievable, my baby took steps.

Yep, he probably took his first steps at school so as not to shock me into a hysterical fit. I guess we'll see over the next few weeks if these steps are really a gateway into walking - toddlerhood, I should say - or if they are just a fluke. My money (and sanity) is on it's a fluke! Love you my handsome little dude!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish that Teachers & daycare providers would just not tell us when those big events happen and then pretend like it's never happened before when we tell them about it! Tripp...no mor steps unless you're at home!!