Just for posterity sake, I want to document this day. At this very moment, at 9:30 a.m. on a bright sunny day, it is only 11 degrees. With the wind chill it is 0 degrees - as in ZERO degrees. Did you get that friends? 0 degrees!! Yikes.
I think today is the coldest day I have ever experienced living in Atlanta. It's absolutely without question the coldest day of both Sophie and Tripp's lives. I think that's pretty neat that I can say that. I am even including the day we left the hospital to bring Tripp home. That day was tremendously cold, it even snowed! But it wasn't anywhere near 0 degrees!
I only remember being in colder weather one time. That was when we visited our friends Pat & Mikki in Chicago in January. When we flew into Chicago the pilot told us it was set to be the coldest weekend of the year. That scared me, but not knowing Chicago very well I thought "how cold could it really be?" Um, really cold!
Our friends are true Chicagoians and so they are used to the cold weather. The weekend we were there, the Bears were hosting and playing in a playoff game. Pat & Mikki took us to the stadium to meet up with some of their friends to tailgate. Oh.my.gosh was it cold. The stadium was located next to the river at that time so not only was it cold, you also got the wind (ahem - the "windy city") from the lake. It was below 0 degrees with the wind. I think it was in the -10 to -20 degree range. The thing that amazed me was the amount of people running around with no shirts on. Are you kidding me? Sure, they were doing shots from ice scupltures, but I'm not sure any amount of shots could make me run shirtless in -10 deg weather. It might, however, make me dress up like the smart dude who was wearing the full-on, head-to-toe, furry Chewbacca suit. Classic! I can't imagine how the shirtless people felt when they sobered up, because I was dressed properly and I swear I still got frostbite on my toes. I could not move my toes! Mind you, I had 2 or 3 pairs of socks on and boots and I still felt like I couldn't move my toes and that I had frostbite. People donated me their gloves. I had 3 or 4 pairs on. It was so cold, I couldn't even drink a beer - or even hold one with the multitude of gloves I was sporting. It was a "nice" thing to be a part of, but it was so freaking cold that I'm not sure I could ever do it again. I'm not even sure I'd ever visit Chicago in the winter again. Wow, it was cold.
People up north and in the midwest are just plain crazy. I'm not sure how anyone lives in that type of weather. Of course, my dad is from Jersey and I'm pretty sure he used to tell us that he shoveled snow before school when he was 5, drank a cup of coffee because they didn't have hot chocolate back then, and then walked uphill both to and from school. You know parents! LOL Thankfully my mom and dad don't like cold weather so they raised me in sunny Florida!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment