I read something a long time ago that said if you want to potty train quickly to forgo using diapers or underwear on the toddler who is training. So I decided to try that route a month or two ago. Sophie thought it was really funny to run around as "naked butt." She would laugh and dance around and sing "naked butt" LOL! I only did it for a day or two before putting pull-ups and underwear on. I don't care how weird that sounds, it worked. Before we did naked butt, she would have accidents when she was wearing her underwear, but since the experiment she has not had one accident at home.
Anyway, so although she's pretty much been potty trained while at home for the past several weeks - since I posted the last post about potty training - she wasn't really potty trained at school. She would go on the potty once or twice per day while the rest of the time she would just go in her pull up. One day I realized that she was probably not using the potty at school because she had a pull up on. I guess she considers the pull up as a diaper and not underwear, so the connection for her is to treat it like a diaper. I decided the best way to fix that problem was to send her to school in underwear. Just cold turkey - no diapers, just underwear.
I spoke to her teachers and they said that at some point that is what all parents do. They advised me to pack a bag with a lot of pants and underwear. So I promptly took myself to the store and bought Sophie a bunch of underwear. Up until that point she only had 3 pair. I never thought shopping for my 2 year old's underwear would be fun, but it was! She looks so cute in her little underwear and there were a ton of designs to choose from. I immediately bought the Elmo underwear because for some odd reason she is in love with Elmo (we don't even really watch much Elmo!). I also bought hearts and polkadots as well as princesses. Wouldn't you know, she started clapping and cheering for Elmo and Abby! LOL It was so cute. I guess I could call this a really neat "mommy and daughter" moment.
We've been sticking to the plan and sending Sophie to school in underwear. We've been doing this for about 2 weeks now. We let her pick which underwear she'll wear at the beginning of the day - it's always Elmo! LOL Each day has progressively gotten better. Each day that I pick her up I immediately check her out to see if she's wearing different clothes. Sure enough, she always is. Last week she had 2 accidents on M, T and 1 accident on W, Th & Fri. Weird thing is the accidents were poopy accidents more recently and that is something she's never done at home. On Friday we bought Sophie her own little backpack to carry her spare clothes/underwear to school in. Yesterday was her first day taking it to school. I don't know if that was her lucky charm or what, but she didn't have an accident yesterday. She went all day without pottying in her pants. YAY!! Same with today. Two full days of no potty accidents.
We are experiencing potty training success!! Yay Sophie, we are so happy and proud of you! I know there will still be some accidents here and there, but you are really doing a great job. I can't believe my baby girl is using the big girl potty! I have taken you in public also. It wears on my nerves because you using a public potty is just yucky to me, but we deal. You do great, even though you touch everything. Ew. Anyway, I love you baby! We are so proud of you!
Here is Sophie on her way to school yesterday with her good luck charm (her Strawberry Shortcake backpack!)



1 comment:
YAY, SOPHIE!
We haven't started even trying this yet. (Although I've had a potty stuffed in his closet for almost 8 months, LOL!) Recently he has been asking A LOT about what both mommy and daddy are doing on the potty and saying he wants to use the potty. So, we will probably dig it out in a couple weeks. I just didn't want to push it since we just moved him to a BB bed, and I know you aren't supposed to introduce two new things at once.
GREAT JOB, SOPHIE!!! You're a real big girl now.
Post a Comment