Saturday, November 8, 2008

Croup

The cough that comes out of the mouth of a baby that has croup is just crazy. It doesn't seem like a sound like that should come from a baby. I remember hearing about a barking cough that sounds like a seal, but I always thought that description was probably a little bit of an exaggeration. Nope! I have first hand experience with this barking cough, first when Sophie had croup and again now that Tripp has croup.

I have come to realize that I am the mom here. Not John, me! I gave birth to these babies and I know when they are sick and I'm always right when I say they have a fever. It's one of those "motherly instincts" you get when you have kids. You just know. So why I ask John to validate me when I think they are sick is beyond me. He never thinks they are sick, he always says they do not have a fever ... but this is the one time I am always right. Of course, I think I'm always right (and shhh... I usually am) but when it comes to sickies, fevers, and the kids, John will tell you I am always right! Seriously! Ask him if you don't believe me :-)

I say all of this because the other night Tripp's breathing got a little out of sorts. He was wheezing, coughing, barking like a seal, and he sounded like he was losing his voice. John, on the other hand, didn't see it like that. He thought Tripp had just gotten a little excited because I had some girlfriends over and they were holding him and playing with him. The symptoms came on very suddenly, so I can kind of see why he thought that. It all happened in a matter of an hour. I had taken him for a flu shot earlier in the day and other than a runny nose he was fine. We gave him a bath and he seemed fine, but all of a sudden he wasn't. I thought maybe he was having a reaction to the shot he had gotten earlier, but then I realized that these were not typical symptoms of shots and I didn't even think the flu shot had symptoms anyway. I became a little flustered because of the abnormal breathing and wanted to call the doctor, but I agreed to let John give Tripp his bottle and put him to sleep. If all went well we would just call the doctor in the morning if the symptoms were still lingering.

Morning came, symptoms were still here, I called the doctor and she told me to bring him in. Yep, I was right! I love saying that, just wish it wasn't when the kids are sick. Tripp had a severe cold that turned into croup. They said he was handling it pretty well, but that croup gets worse at night hence the breathing and barking that came on suddenly after bath time. The doctor prescribed a steroid for Tripp to help ease the swelling in his throat. He has been running a very low grade fever and until today seemed to be taking the sickness in stride. Today he was a little fussier than normal and definitely more tired although his cough seemed better. I hate seeing my little baby boy sick. He's so sweet and innocent and all he wants to do is crawl around after anything you don't want him to get. LOL Watching him try to be so active when he isn't feeling well is sad.

I have to add a disclaimer really quick - I am being a little silly about the "I'm right" part, but John read the top part of my post as I was writing it and laughed at it. He said it's so true! Sophie had a fever the other day of about 102. He had been carrying Sophie around just before I picked her up and didn't notice she was blazing hot on her face. I picked her up and as we were playing I happened to touch her cheek with mine. I immediately knew she had a fever. I pretty much had to force him to take her temperature. When he came downstairs after taking her temperature, he conceded. If only I could get John to admit I'm right about so.many.other things ... that would be perfect! :-)

I guess I have only one thing to say - don't mess with me when it comes to knowing when a kid is sick or has a fever! I have some kind of talent and I always know LOL :-)

1 comment:

V-n-J said...

You're so funny! But yes mothers ALWAYS know. J won't concede to this. Hope Tripp is doing better now.

ps I love the pic on your header and new layout ... too cute.