Wednesday, November 5, 2008

History has been made!

This is a tremendous day for millions of Americans. Barack Obama overwhelmingly won the bid to become the 44th President of the United States. The electoral votes were something like 337 to 163 (I'll update this later). This is an amazing day. It's going to be weird saying President Obama instead of President Bush, but I'll get use to it! LOL

Obama has become the first African-American President of The United States. I think this is wonderful! I look forward to watching this country unite and embrace all races rather than to continue and divide between them. This opens so many doors for our children and probably our country in the eyes of the world. I've witnessed history and I like it! Think about it, Obama will be written about in history books all over the world. One day when my children are studying U.S. History I will be able to tell them I was part of this history! So cool! It's like my dad telling me he remembers exactly where he was and what happened when the country learned of JFK Jr.'s assassination. Not a happy part of history, but nonetheless a part of history. I've lived though some history making events - Princess Diana's passing, the Space Shuttle Challenger accident (which I watched outside at school with my very own two eyes), a few wars, September 11th - but as you can see none are happy days for America. This defining moment, is a happy day, a day to be celebrated!

As I said in my post below, it's hard to believe any man would want to take office in this environment. Obama has a tough, tough road ahead of him. He faces some very tough critics, an economy in a recession, people who want more for themselves and their countries, and international affairs that are very fragile. May God Bless him in his endeavours and keep him safe and our country safe while he fights for this country.

I like what Obama said in his speech last night. He said something along the lines of "For those of you that wondered if America was still the land of opportunity - here is your answer." Amazing! I love that he embraced this country and reminded people that America is still a place for all people and all people can still build and watch their dreams come true.

God Bless America and God Bless the new President of the United States of America - Barack Obama!

No comments: