Saturday, November 8, 2008

Poopy in Potty

Can you guess what I am going to say? Yippee!! Sophie went poopy in the potty today! We are so proud of her and, more importantly, she is so impressed with herself!

This is a pretty impressive moment. We aren't really actively trying to potty train Sophie. As sad as it may be, we just haven't had a whole lot of time to dedicate to potty training. Plus, truth be told, the logistics of potty training just kind of freak me out. Like when you are traveling, where do you stop to let the kids potty (a gas station?)? What if they have to go multiple times, do you stop multiple times? If you do, how long does that extend your trip/driving time? Or when you are at Target and there is an emergency and you have both babies - what do you do? Yuck - public restrooms and germs! Ew! Just gross. I'll get over all that, I'm sure. LOL But for all those reasons, plus we have the little baby to worry about, we haven't really been trying to potty train her. That's not to say she's not trying to potty train herself. She's a smart one, I think that is what's going on!

Every day at school she sits on the potty when it's time for a diaper change. She never potties. She does come home from school saying "I pee pee (or poopy) in the potty mommy." I'm not sure if she thinks she is going in it or if she just says it because she has sat on the potty. Here at home I do sit her on the potty when I change her diaper or when she says she has to potty, but she never potties. Thing is, she knows when she has to go, at least the poopy part because she tells us she has to go and she usually tells us just before she actually goes. Not usually enough time for us to get her to the potty and she usually runs once we get up to take her, but she definitely knows when she has to go and we take her if we can get to her before she goes. I only say we aren't actively training her, because we don't ask her if she has to go and we are consistent about taking her unless she requests the potty.

So today I heard this conversation:

Sophie: "I have to go poopy in potty daddy."
John: "Ok, let's go potty."
John (yelling): "Hun, come here! Sophie's pooping! She pooped in the potty!"

I ran in there to see what all the excitement was about. There was John holding Sophie on the big potty and Sophie just smiling from ear to ear. We were clapping for her and telling her she did a great job. She kept saying "I poopy in potty Mommy." I never thought I'd be so excited about poop or a potty, but I was. So once she got off and we cleaned her, she looked in the toilet and said "Mommy! Look! Poopy in potty!" It was so funny. She just sat there and stared in the toilet saying "Look at poopy!" until we convinced her to flush the toilet. The excitement on her face was priceless! I probably should have taken a picture, but I thought this was kind of a private moment so I didn't :-)

I have always been told that it's tough teaching the poopy part of potty training, so for her first potty experience to be poopy it just seems so random. I'm just amazed that out of the blue Sophie just poopied in the potty. I hope it's not a fluke! I just thank God we've taught her to stop calling her girly parts a "birdie". I wish I knew who taught her that! LOL

1 comment:

V-n-J said...

yay for Sophie! I need to tell Javan about this - maybe that will give him some motivation to get interested again.